The information we collect about you, our security agreement and your rights.
By using this website you consent to the collection, retention and use of your personal information in accordance with the terms of this policy.
Information we collect
- Personal details (such as your name, contact details and email address) which you provide by registering with us or submitting an enquiry via the website.
- Your responses to surveys which we ask you to complete for research purposes.
- How you use the website and any other information you post, email or otherwise send to us.
There are broadly four reasons why a cookie might be stored on your device when visiting the website.
- Cookies that make the website work properly for you and enable you to make use of the secure online services that we provide.
- Cookies that collect data about your use of the website which is then anonymised and used to help us improve our online services.
- Cookies that remember your preferences and make the site easier for you to use.
- Cookies that are placed by third party services we make use of to enhance the information we present online. We have no control over these third party cookies.
These cookies are placed on your device either by the University or by the third parties whose services we use as part of the website. Some cookies are retained in your browser for only as long as you visit our website, while others persist for a longer specified or unspecified period.
- Strictly necessary cookies: some cookies we place on your browser ensure that the University’s website delivers you information and services securely and optimally. You must accept these essential cookies to be able to make use of our online systems.
- Functionality cookies: some cookies enable websites to remember choices their users make, for example, user name, language or text size. These cookies are known as “functionality cookies” and help to improve a user’s experience of a website by providing a more personalised service.
- Performance cookies: we use a number of tools that monitor visitor behaviour on our website to help us improve our information and services. The tool we use most consistently is Google Analytics. Anonymous data about your visit is collected and amalgamated with that of other visitors so we can better understand how people use our website. You can opt out of providing us with this information if you wish, with no impact on your experience of our website.
- Third party cookies: some University website pages use third party services or software, such as maps, online videos or social networking features. Many of these services may set cookies on your device.
For more detailed information and list of cookies we use, please visit the University of Edinburgh's 'cookies we use' webpage.
We may collect information where available about your IP address, operating system and browser type. This is data about users' browsing actions and patterns. It is used to inform improvements to the website, for system administration, and to report aggregate information to third parties.
We employ security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access.
Storage of your information
Transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to the website. Any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access.
Disclosure of your information
We will not share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent, except where disclosure is:
- Necessary to enforce our rights, including under our website Terms and Conditions of use; or
- Required or permitted by law.
Authorised personnel within the University will be able to access the information you provide to us. We may also disclose your information to other third parties who act for us for the purposes set out in the policy.
Third party websites
The website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these third party websites.
If you have any queries concerning your personal information or any questions on our use of the information then please contact us.
This privacy statement is continued at http://edin.ac/privacy