Dr Brittan obtained her undergraduate BSc degree from the University of Glasgow and studied a PhD in adult stem cell biology at Cancer Research UK in London. Mairi underwent postdoctoral training at the Blizard Institute (Queen Mary University of London), investigating the regenerative properties of adult bone marrow stem cells and endothelial progenitor cells, and in the Centre for Inflammation Research (University of Edinburgh) studying the role of monocyte subpopulations in patients with acute lung inflammation. Mairi is a BHF Intermediate Research Fellow and Principal Investigator in the BHF Centre for Vascular Regeneration and BHF Centre for Cardiovascular Science with an overarching research interest in the role of endothelial progenitor cells in vascular regeneration.
- Boulberdaa M, Scott E, Ballantyne M, Garcia R, Descamps B, Angelini GD, Brittan M, Hunter A, McBride M, McClure J, Miano JM, Emanueli C, Mills NL, Mountford JC, Baker AH. 2016. A Role for the Long Noncoding RNA SENCR in Commitment and Function of Endothelial Cells. Mol Ther. 24(5):978-90.
- Brittan M, Hunter A, Boulberdaa M, Fujisawa T, Skinner EM, Shah AS, Baker AH, Mills NL. 2015. Impaired vascular function and repair in patients with premature coronary artery disease. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 22(12):1557-66.
- Brittan M, Hoogenboom MM, Padfield GJ, Tura O, Fujisawa T, Maclay JD, Macnee W, Mills NL. 2013. Endothelial progenitor cells in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 305(12):L964-9.
- Barr LC, Brittan M, Morris AC, McAuley DF, McCormack C, Fletcher AM, Richardson H, Connell M, Patel D, Wallace WA, Rossi AG, Davidson DJ, Manson L, Turner M, Hirani N, Walsh TS, Anderson NH, Dhaliwal K, Simpson AJ. 2013. A randomized controlled trial of peripheral blood mononuclear cell depletion in experimental human lung inflammation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 188(4):449-55.
- Tura O, Skinner EM, Barclay GR, Samuel K, Gallagher RC, Brittan M, Hadoke PW, Newby DE, Turner ML, Mills NL. 2013. Late outgrowth endothelial cells resemble mature endothelial cells and are not derived from bone marrow. Stem Cells 31(2):338-48.
- Brittan M, Barr L, Conway Morris A, Duffin R, Rossi F, Johnston S, Monro G, Anderson N, Rossi AG, McAuley DF, Haslett C, Hirani N, Dhaliwal K, Simpson AJ. 2012. A novel subpopulation of monocyte-like cells in the human lung after lipopolysaccharide inhalation. Eur. Respir. J. 40(1):206-14.